11.4.11

quote of the day.

"Someone is standing on the other side of my door. I can feel it. But...no. Everyone is sleeping. Everyone is enchanted, pulled under into a dream.
The moon drips through my window.
I wait.
Spiders hatch and crawl out of my belly button, hairy little tar beads with ballerina feet. They swarm, spinning a silk veil, one hundred thousand spider thoughts woven together until they wrap me up in a cozy shroud.
I breathe in. The web presses against my open lips. It tastes dusty, like old curtains.
The smell of ginger and cloves and burnt sugar drifts over my bed, the smell of her body wash and shampoo and perfume. She's coming. Any minute now.
I breathe out and it begins.
Thorn-covered vines creep across the floor, crackling like a bonfire. Black roses bloom in the moonlight, born dead and brittle. The web on my face holds my eyes open, forcing me to watch as Cassie steps out of the shadows, briars twining up her legs and around her body, reaching up through her hair. One minute she's by the door, the next, she stands over me. The temperature in the room has dropped twenty degrees. Her voice is in my head.
'Lia,' she says.
I can't make a sound. Spiders crawl on my face and leap across to her arms. They fly back and forth, knitting us together.
'Come with me,' she says. 'Please.'
The web locks us into place, staring at each other as the moon slithers across the sky and the stars fall asleep."

(just a snippet of Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson. she is such an inspiration to me.)

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Laurie has such an intense way of writing.
    It always takes my breatn away. I feel her words, so strongly
    She has me bound so tightly. She saves me at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i absolutely love wintergirls, it's such an intense book. laurie writes so well, and her words definetly speak to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read that book too many times to count!
    I adore it so so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie is absolutely wonderful.
    Her words are so beautiful.
    I've become quite obsessed with her books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we all have :) And rightly so! She is incredible
    xxx

    ReplyDelete